Wednesday 8 December 2010

Self Branding



















As part of the HND at Telford we are required to create our own branding so that we are ready for the big bad world of employment. I've known for a long time exactly how I wanted to brand myself; clean, crisp and simple to let my work do the talking. I have chosen Bodoni Black as it is a classic typeface that has clearly stood the test of time, not to mention its beauty.
I really adore printing and wanted this to come across in my work, so the main "logo" if you like will be a blind emboss on GFSmith Colorplan Pristine White. I kept the size consistent throughout the stationary to save on cost. This will also be a feature on my portfolio, below.

As so many people now a days have the same black portfolios I wanted to stand out and do something different. This is something that came up when asking for advice from the designers at Whitespace, along with many other valuable pointers.
The swivel concept came to me, like many of my ideas, whilst trying to sleep! I like the idea that this is a project in its own and I guess, it challenges the printing process. The stock will be the same as the above but on 700gsm board - this in itself is a challenge as not many printers can print on this stock. The solution is to print on a lower weight and sandwich it to the board. I feel that the clean white portfolio will be a lovely contrast to the bright full colour images of my work, and hope that when the viewer opens up the portfolio they will be hit with the intensity of the photographs.

(Apologies for the grotty scan! Please email me if you would like higher quality images)


















Finally, my website. Initially I thought it was going to be quite difficult to transfer the impact of the blind emboss to web, but settled on keeping it monochrome rather than trying to replicate. Throughout all of my self branding/promo work, the layout of work will remain consistent. I see the website as a way in if you like, something that I can send potential employers/clients to then meet face to face, and hopefully show them my portfolio and my personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment